Wednesday 18 September 2013

Wednesday's men and ladies

I had foolishly promised one of my work mates some form of ginger baking for today. This was a foolish promise because I hadn't really planned how I would fit baking into my evening – there were a lot of chores that needed doing. On the plus side baking is preferable to chores. My services were also to be called upon for a rehearsal of an imminent best-men speech (yes, there are two of them).

I fancied doing some sort of biscuits and had a browse of my recipe books. There were loads of recipes for different types of ginger biscuits so I opted for what seemed to be the easiest, involving the fewest ingredients, from one of my most trusted recipe books: gingerbread men. Thus far I'd managed one chore – putting away the groceries that had just arrived from a large internet order. I decided that in order to achieve my chore goals I'd need to do some multi-tasking so put a load of washing on before starting work on the baking.

The recipe said to melt 2 tablespoons of black treacle with 50g of butter and 15ml of milk. Thinking about it now I'm not sure that the milk is really necessary but the book has “dairy” in the title so I think they're keen to get as many farmyard products in as possible. I have found that it's very difficult to accurately measure any type of treacle or syrup product in any units apart from grams (or another actual weight I suppose). This was further complicated because the recipe seemed to indicate that 2 tablespoons of black treacle is equivalent 60ml. As far as I'm concerned one tablespoon is 15ml (no matter what the substance), so I was confused. I wasn't about to start working out the density of black treacle so I just went with 2 big dollops of black treacle.

While that was melting I mixed together 100g plain flour, 50g sugar (soft brown) and 1 (generous) teaspoon of ground ginger.

The next instruction was to mix the treacle mixture into the dry ingredients until it formed a soft ball. Once I'd thoroughly mixed the two sets of ingredients it resembled nothing like a soft ball. It was more of a sludgy cake mixture. In retrospect perhaps I should have just beaten in an egg and turned it into a cake but in my mind I was committed to gingerbread men. So I added a bit more flour in the hope of turning the sludge into a soft ball. After several additions of flour (just a little at a time) I worried that the ginger would be losing its potency so I added another shake of this. With a few more little additions of flour my soft ball finally formed.

The final part of the pre-bake was surprisingly uneventful. I rolled out to about half a centimetre and then cut out both men and lady shapes (with a clever double-sided cutter that I had acquired from my mum). They baked for about 10 minutes at 180°C and came out looking remarkably like gingerbread men and ladies.

Gingerbread men and ladies aren't the same without decoration. The recipe had said to apply currants for eyes, nose, buttons etc before baking but we didn't have any currants and sultanas were too big. So I decided to risk some post-baking icing. Icing is not my strong point. Cautious to avoid my usual mistake of making it too runny I tipped a load of icing sugar into a bowl and very slowly added water, just half a teaspoon at a time. It's on occasions like these that I would like to own some food colouring. But I don't, so we would have to make do with all white features. I was not about to start using a piping – this would require my full concentration and by now I was in full swing with the best men speech. Instead I applied the icing with a cocktail stick (or tooth pick if you prefer) and finished off with a few silver balls.

I don't think they were the greatest gingerbread men and ladies ever made – slightly on the tough side – but my colleagues were very polite and said that they enjoyed them and no-one lost any teeth.

Even still, next time I'm going to try a different recipe. And maybe I'll invest in some food colouring.

(In case you were wondering the best men speech went down very well).

No comments:

Post a Comment