Tuesday 24 December 2013

Saturday's festive catering: part 3

Part 3
(you can find part 1 here, and part 2 here)

After a day mostly spent in the kitchen with a brief trip out to buy cream, and an not insubstantial amount of time spent chatting my festive catering now amounted to:
* some chilled short crust pastry (destined for mince pies)
* some undecorated multi-spice biscuits
* a big pan of unblended soup
* a bowl of sugar and eggs

I was now on a mission to make my Bûche de Noel, this would require focus and I must reveal that I was rather neglectful of visitors 3 and 4. After a quick hello I left them in Matt's capable hands, I could hear one of my favourite board games being played so had no concerns. I finally whisked up the sugar and eggs, for quite a while on the highest setting of the electric whisk. Then I carefully added the self raising flour (65g) and cocoa powder (40g). In a most unusual display of care I actually sifted these into the egg / sugar mixture – I don't know why but it seemed particularly important not lose all the air that I had whisked in. When it came to pour the mixture into the tin (you haven't missed an ingredient, this is a fat free sponge) it looked basically like a chocolate mousse.

While this baked (at 220ºC for 10minutes) I started the filling. I whisked 150ml of cream. In another bowl I whisked (this recipe uses a lot of bowls and a lot of whisking) half of the tin of chestnut purée (I did cut a corner here as the recipe said you were supposed to sieve this but this just seemed crazy) with 3 tablespoons of hot milk, 1 tablespoon of hot coffee (you're supposed to use coffee essence but I don't have any and there was a little bit of coffee left in a cafetiere that Matt had made for himself earlier) and 50g of caster sugar. You're also supposed to put brandy in but not being sure of the alcohol consumption practices of our expected (and possibly expectant) guests I left this out. Then you fold the cream into the rest of it. And that's the filling.

The next bit of the recipe seemed like it was going to be the tricky bit. You have to take the sponge out of the oven and immediately turn it out, remove the greaseproof paper and roll it up (the cake, not the paper). I prepared for this operation by covering a board in icing sugar to turn the sponge out onto. The sponge turn out subsequently resulted in an icing sugar bomb effect all over the work surface. It wasn't until I later re-read the recipe that I realised you were supposed to use caster sugar, which would probably have made considerably less mess. I worked quickly but the sponge rolling was entirely unsuccessful, despite following the recipe's tip of scoring where the first roll would go. I ended up with three separate pieces of sponge that sort of fitted together. You then have to leave it to cool before adding the filling.

I used this pause to decorate the biscuits. Time pressures meant that I needed to keep this simple. I melted some plain chocolate and used this to drizzle over the holly leaf shapes. We had reached the ominous 5 o'clock when I was actually expecting people to arrive. I had a lot of melted chocolate left and decided that I would cover the Christmas tree shapes with this and then put on a few silver balls. The timing was bad because just as my haphazard decorating was going on Matt's auntie who is an expert cake decorator arrived. But I was not to be deterred. After greeting our new guests I returned to the Bûche. But it was still not cool and despite my impatience I knew better than to put a cream based filling in a hot cake.


So I went back to the biscuits. I melted some white chocolate and used this to drizzle over the angels / fairies (to which I then added a bit of pink sprinkly sugar stuff) and to cover the snowmen (to which I then added some multi-coloured hundreds and thousands). Every spare work surface was now covered with festive biscuits covered in chocolate that needed to set.
















But I just managed to find a space to work on (the now cool Bûche). I “unrolled” it, spread the filling all over and re-“rolled” (stack would be more accurate). The filling sort of spilt out of the ends but it didn't look too awful. I whisked another 300ml of cream (the fact that it is a fatless sponge is clearly no message about the lipid content of the recipe as a whole) to cover the top with – this would hopefully make it look rather more Christmassy. Now I did deviate from the recipe a little. I just had a feeling that it would be improved by something a little fruity so halved some glacé cherries and attached these to the cream at one end of the log (I didn't want to cover it in cherries as I know that they're not to everyone's taste).
Then I dusted with cocoa powder (back to the recipe). I was rather pleased with the effect but thought that it would look even better with a supplementary dusting of icing sugar (recipe deviation) – it did. The scene was completed by the application of the plastic Christmas figurines (holly, father Christmas, reindeer) that Barbara, my mother-in-law, had kindly picked up for me (don't fret I have paid her back). For a first attempt it looked good but, as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

To be continued.......


(This would be a really far too long blog if I don't split it up; you are after all getting multiple recipes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment